Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Another food victory.

Woot!

Five-course tasting menu, baby. High points: salt-roasted golden beets with smoked eggplant mousse; grilled tofu with truffled creamy leeks and spinach and wild mushroom crepe; the chocolate-stuffed beignet. Low points: the cauliflower soup was on the cold side (perhaps it had stepped outside into the ASS COLDNESS of Philadelphia!); the grilled seitan was SO EXACTLY LIKE a tender grilled steak in both taste and texture that I...was unnerved, and asked for confirmation that it wasn't made from animals. I'm glad I ate it, and it was a mindblowing food experience, but I wouldn't order it again. I'm not one of those vegetarians who misses meat. Still, I would definitely go back to that joint, and steer toward the vegetables and the tofu. I'm stuffed to popping.

And oh, yeah, MLA is on in the background.

2 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Salt-roasted golden beets with smoked eggplant mousse and grilled tofu with truffled leeks does indeed sound heavenly!

I used to be unnerved by the fake-meat phenomenon, too, but I've come to enjoy some of those preparations. They usually are not as yummy as fresh vegetable preparations, but I guess I enjoy experiencing that different texture once in a while.

Renaissance Girl said...

Yeah, well, as those preparations go, this was--I admit it--perfection. So much so that it had GRISTLE, which I could not eat even knowing that it was made of plants.