Sunday, April 26, 2009

A great day.

Spent this way: with Things 1 and 2; mostly, in bed; watching it precipitate or threaten to do so; reading book after book after book--I think somewhere around 50 in all. In celebration, one of my childhood faves:

"The Goops"

The Goops they lick their fingers.
The Goops they lick their knives.
They spill their broth on the tablecloth
And lead untidy lives.
The Goops they talk while eating,
And loud and fast they chew;
And that is why I'm glad that I
Am not a Goop. Are you?

--Gillette Burgess

3 comments:

jw said...

I am afraid that, yes, I might be a Goop.

Leslie said...

Oh my! I too loved the Goops as a kid. I had them in some weird children's lit anthology with another favorite counting poem and very strange drawings.

And lead untidy lives.

Indeed.

Leslie Lee said...

We have a grandson now and memories from my childhood make me yearn for a children’s anthology that I remember loving so much. What I would give for that book now! The Goops was a favorite and I remembered most of it- thanks for supplying the last lines.
Other favorites were the King who wanted “just a bit of butter for my bread” and the Little Red Hen. All the stories and poems had different odd illustrations as I recall.
If anyone out there knows of this 50+ yr old book I’d love to know the title and publisher so I could track one down.
thanks!