Monday, April 21, 2008

Not enough poems out there from a sheep's perspective.

Dream Song 28:  Snow Line

It was wet & white & swift and where I am
we don't know. It was dark and then
it isn't.
I wish the barker would come. There seems to be to eat
nothing. I am usually tired.
I'm alone too.

If only the strange one with so few legs would come,
I'd say my prayers out of my mouth, as usual.
Where are his notes I loved?
There may be horribles; it's hard to tell.
The barker nips me but somehow I feel
he too is on my side.

I'm too alone. I see no end. If we could all
run, even that would be better. I am hungry.
The sun is not hot.
It's not a good position I am in.
If I had to do the whole thing over again
I wouldn't.


---John Berryman

4 comments:

squadratomagico said...

mmm... so good.

Dr Write said...

awesome. How has that one escaped me? Unknown.
Thanks for sharing.

Lisa B. said...

Wonderful poem--as a result of your having posted it, I have resolved anew to read Berryman during my sabbatical.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.