Monday, February 1, 2010

Dear 2010,

No offense, but you sorta suck so far. I guess it should have been an omen to me when you started with a mystifying and unprecedented blowout with the Things' dad. But you just seem to get worse and worse. Thing 2 in surgery. Thing 2 developing weird postsurgical vomiting. (That seems to be past us now, though I'm reluctant to thank YOU for that, 2010.) Meager, pathetic, halfhearted snow, which means lackluster or nonexistent skiing. Three classes to teach. And that research funding I got from my institution to support post-RSA travel in Italy I had to give back because the Vatican Library is closed to visitors this spring, so I have to come up with that extendo-trip out of my own wallet, already kitchen-remodeled into scrawn. And speaking of funding: not one but TWO fellowships now officially not received, which means that I tapped into that always-paltry-seeming store of recommendation-letter-writing goodwill for NOTHING, in two different fields. And these failures become even more defining when we acknowledge that, as my Sister From Another Mister pointed out to me recently, I have no life except for kids and work. And on top of all this I swear I'm fifteen pounds up since last year, can't write a damn thing to save my life, and Thing 1 might need therapy for his high-stressed tendencies (don't know where he gets those from, honestly). 2010, weren't you supposed to be about world peace? I saw your movie. "Use them in peace," Rod Scheider's voiceover declared at the film's end. How 'bout you practice what you preach.

Ever your

RG

12 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Oh dear! I hope the things are feeling better, and that 2010 settles down for you!

the rebel lettriste said...

"...already kitchen remodeled into scrawn."

That's killer.

2010 can't EVEN touch yer skillz.

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

The letter-writers now have updated drafts that will need very little tinkering if you ask them to re-deploy those letters next year. Write them nice thank-you notes saying how grateful you are despite the bad news, and re-apply before the letters go out of date.

Blue Cheese said...

Dear SFAM: comment wasn't that you have no life, but that you're focused on those two areas of life right now. But even that is false as you do lovely things like take clutzes skiing and such.

Leslie said...

As Jehanne would say, 2010 is definitely partaking of the suckage.

I hope thing with Things improve dramatically. And everything else too!

And may you have ski weather soon. I too am hating the snowless, icy winter here--no hiking, which means less sanity.

Hang in. Change will happen. Some of it good.

xo

Renaissance Girl said...

Oh, sure, Dame Eleanor. It all sounds so REASONABLE when you say it like THAT....!

Renaissance Girl said...

And Cheesy: I owe you a big apology, right here in the presence of God and this company, because you actually weren't, in any way, implicated in my self-pity party. I declare: you are part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Dr Write said...

Oh! I hope thing 2 is okay! And thing 1. Those smart kids. Sometimes they, well, worry. It's part of their brain. He'll be fine, I'm sure, with such a mother as you.
Maybe it was just early 2010 that sucked...and it will get better. I hope so!

Blue Cheese said...

Well, if you declare it . . .

Lisa B. said...

I agree with Dr. Write. I am putting my money on a better rest-of-2010 for you. Because it's clear to me that it's your turn for a better tomorrow (ha. I just turned into a horrible tag phrase for some company that probably devastates the environment and must be resisted by a compromised but still conscience-driven character played by George Clooney, possibly in a movie called Michael Clayton--but it's true, it IS your turn).

dkm said...

Maybe 2010 is just a late bloomer. After all, any year that includes a research leave can't be all bad :)

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Oh gosh... I hope your kiddo #2 is okay. I have been having troubles with my #2 lately, as well -- four days in the hospital after he stopped breathing one day. Gads... I was hoping 2010 would be better, too. But it's been difficult in our realm as well. Sigh...Wishing you better days to come!