Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back into therapy.

I've just restarted a program of therapy that has worked wonders during my two significant past episodes of deep doldrums (I may be speaking euphemistically here). It's simple, and inexpensive, and takes a long time, and invariably gets me back on top of things.

What is this miracle cure, you ask?

It is to listen to the entire back-catalogue of songs by this one particular band. (It's a LOT of songs.) Even better if this medicine is administered while running.

It's really remarkable how my mood improves on this program. And remarkable how I respond so fully--corporeally, spiritually, intellectually, emotionally--to musical stimulus.

I know I'm not the only one whose psychic stability is keyed to current listening. Anyone out there have prescriptions for musical mood-enhancers? My question is not merely academic: I'm always in the market for new material.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watch Muppet Show clips on youtube. Beaker and Honeydew slay me. If the Bork Bork Bork of the Chef doesn't snap me out of my funk, then I go for Pigs In Space.
jc

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

I might be able to get a good deal of therapy from listening to the entire They Might Be Giants catalog. I love those dudes. Even their kids music is awesome.

Doctor Cleveland said...

Elvis Costello, naturally.

dkm said...

How about Leonard Cohen?

Or perhaps you could put a song on repeat and then listen to it for an entire run, as a way of bouncing off the bottom.

Sometimes that works for me. After a couple of hours of The Velvet Underground's "Heroin" or Patti Smith's "Gloria," I'm not necessarily ready for Van Morrison or Abba :), but I'm no longer in exactly the same old funk either.

It might be worth a shot, anyway.

Leslie said...

Abba! I just watched the (fairly stupid) movie Mama Mia! and I remembered that nothing beats silly, obvious pop for mood-lifting. It won't help the brain, but it makes me feel better lately.

Word verification: countra
Definition: a counting mantra (one potato, two potato)

Blue Cheese said...

Parliament. Nothing like the atomic funk to get the funk out.

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

You know I love Leonard, but he makes me deeply melancholy. Total-oeuvre cheering up for me (I know you will laugh): the Ramones.

jo(e) said...

I tend to listen to Joni Mitchell when I'm in a melancholy mood, but the music doesn't necessarily cheer me up.

On the other hand, I have been known to put on the soundtrack to the movie "Dirty Dancing" and start dancing in the kitchen to every song. That *does* change my mood.

Renaissance Girl said...

I'm so impressed that you admitted to "Dirty Dancing," Jo(e). That takes real moxie.

Me? In addition to my therapy-band, I become giddy listening to Wang Chung. Everybody Wang Chung tonight, indeed! I confess I'm with Dame E re: Leonard. He's a bummer, and not the place I need to be if I'm suicidal. Ditto Joni Mitchell.

Renaissance Girl said...

Also happy-producing: I scored fab tix to see the therapy-band for myself, Neruda, and the Things. Rock on!

Anonymous said...

This 60-something is listening to Regina Spektor and an assortment of over 6000 songs on her iPod in order to get her butt out walking.
Sometimes it takes a village, to paraphrase Hillary Clinton, to get me moving.