Sunday, July 5, 2009

Splitting nerves.

I'm writing a chapter on George Herbert. It makes an argument that--it is undeniable--relates to a (smart but very poorly written) book written by another scholar a few years ago. But I'm actually making a different set of claims. Very different--having to do with representation rather than religious history. But it's taking a lot of effort on my part to explain how what I'm arguing is distinct from what's been said because so much of religious history is bound up in issues of representation in the early modern period. I feel like I'm back in the anatomy lab, hunched over a section of forearm, working really, really meticulously and painstakingly and exhaustingly to separate out one strand of nerves from another. My early training in science TOTALLY prepared me for my scholarly career.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. That's a taxing situation, and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Good luck and hope that soon you're disentangled from Earlier Scholar so you can feel more free and frolick-y.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

If your early training is in science, you might be interested in some work that a friend of mine is doing. She is working on a series of paintings from Shakespeare's works and merging science, drama and art. You can see the first completed painting and a few sketches from Hamlet here: http://www.brushwithscience.com/Shakespeare/HamletCommit.html

Good luck with your writing!

Lisa B. said...

Well, doesn't this sound fun. But rewarding! I'm sure it's rewarding.